Autumn Toxins!!

It is officially Autumn! The nights become darker but the weather is still relatively warm so we are still active and outdoors. As a result there are a few Autumn risks we would like to warn you about.

Acorns and Conkers: both of these can cause vomiting and diarrhoea and in large quantities have the potential to cause a blockage and obstruction in the gut. Acorns in some cases may also cause swelling and itching of the eyes and lips

Berries and fruits: there are lots of different ones, most cause gastrointestinal upset but others can have more serious toxic effects. If your pet has managed to eat something they shouldn’t it can be helpful to collect a small sample too in case we need to identify them. 

Bulbs: its the time of year to plant Summer bulbs including those of Daffodils, Tulips and Snowdrops. If ingested by your pet they can cause gastrointestinal upset so keep your pet clear whilst planting and store safely.

Mushrooms and Toadstools: there are a variety of mushrooms and toadstools and whilst some may only cause vomiting and diarrhoea others can affect behaviour, cause hallucinations and the very toxic ones can result in liver or kidney failure. It can be difficult to distinguish between mushroom and toadstool species but it is really important for us to find out. If your pet ingests a mushroom it is important to carefully bring a sample with you. Please keep an eye out for our next post on mushroom toxicities in more detail. 

Halloween treats and toys: glow sticks and glow in the dark novelty toys are on the shelves at this time of the year. These should be kept safely away from our pets. If chewed they have a bitter taste which can cause them to salivate excessively and on occasion vomit. The experience for them may also be unpleasant or distressing. Washing their mouth out immediately and offering something to eat may be helpful but if vomiting occurs then it is best to visit the vets.

Fireworks and Sparklers: Ingestion of an unused firework can have the potential for toxicity (there are lots of different components) although this is rare and often vomiting and diarrhoea is the biggest risk. A used firework is unlikely to cause any significant signs as the chemical components have been used up during the display. Sparklers if chewed or touched whilst hot will of course cause burns and if ingested will cause gastrointestinal upset too. 

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any doubt or concerns about something your pet has ingested please do not hesitate to call us on 01606 880 890

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.